- Hdd Bad Sector Repair Freeware
- Bad Sector Repair Free
- Fix Bad Sector Hdd Software
- Hdd Bad Sector Repair Tool
Summary:At some point of time hard drives are prone to have bad sectors but do you know how you can fix them. This guide will let you know everything about bad sectors and how you can fix them.
It’s a rarity that when a good hard disk comes up with one or more sectors, the disk goes bad; and, when such a situation occurs, often the data stored in the bad sectors may get lost, but the remaining data on the disk will remain unaffected. Above all, the disk is still in the functional state.
And save the output to a text file for further investigation. This is just a verification whether you have bad sectors in the hard drive or not. Sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1 /badsectors.txt Repair Bad Sectors. For ext2, ext3, and ext4 file systems, you can use e2fsck utility to check and repair bad sectors. In the terminal run below command. Best 7 Bad Sector Repair Software for Free 1) Disk Genius Disk Genius is one of the most popular hard disk management tools among IT professionals, but not everyone knows that it also features with bad sector checking and repairing functions. The feature is hidden in Disk menu on the top bar where you can see and open Verify Or Repair Bad Sectors. This bad sector repair tool can launch CMD.exe tool from on user-friendly console and repair or fix bad sectors on the hard disk or flash drive in Windows 10/8/7, Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista. The following example will show you the specific steps of repairing bad sectors in Windows computer.
Indeed, we can mark them as unusable so that the Operating System will not attempt to store data over them. But, the major downside of this is a dip in the total disk capacity as this reduces the storage space amount.
There are scenarios when the cause of bad sectors could be a faulty drive head. In such cases, there is a likelihood of spreading the issue to several other sectors of the disk. Therefore, in situations where the hard drive experiences one or more bad sectors, it is highly advisable to backup the disk and try to repair bad sectors in the hard drive instantly.
Here, we guide you on how you can fix bad sectors in hard drive and recover data from it. However, before we look into it, let’s have a quick overview of the Bad Sectors, their symptoms and causes.
What is a Bad Sector?
In simple words, it is a section in the hard drive that becomes inaccessible or corrupted. This tiny defective cluster of storage space won’t respond to any read or write requests. They are of two types—one that results due to a software error and other because of a physical damage.
What are the Reasons for Bad Sectors?Soup and saladaj's pizzeria.
Broadly speaking, there are two major categories — Logical and Physical. The below table shows each category and their reasons—
|Logical Bad Sectors||Physical Bad Sectors|
|Sudden Shutdown||Wear out|
|Reboot Of Computer||Defective Blocks|
|Sudden Power Outage||Overclocked PCI Bus Speeds|
What are Signs that Indicate Bad sectors in the Hard Drive?
The following are the common signs and symptoms that indicate bad sectors in a Hard Drive:
- Generation of strange noises on booting, especially at the time of read/write and hard disk drive opening
- Generation of Error Message— Files become corrupt while running a program or reading a file.
- System is consuming a long time to run a program or read a file.
- System showing a Blue Screen
- When your system shows warning message such as a “General error in reading drive C” or “Sector not found”, even though it is not attacked by a virus
- When Windows fail to complete the hard disk drive format—Quick as well as Full
- When the System every time, upon booting, auto-runs the Scandisk to scan errors in the hard drive
If you see any of the afore-stated symptoms then you should repair bad sectors immediately for the sake of data security and integrity.
Let’s now look into Methods for bad sector repair in a hard drive:
Method 1 – For HDD Bad Sectors Repair on the Hard Drive
Option 1: Manual bad sector repair Method for Windows 10/8 Users
1. Selection of the Search option
2. In the Search field, type This PC >> click This PC.
3. Select the drive you want to repair >> Right-click the drive >> click Properties.
4. Allows you to Select the Tools tab5. Under Error checking section, click Check.
6. Allows you to Review the scan results
7. Click Scan and Repair drive option
8. Allows you to Schedule when to repair the file system.
9. Let Windows bad sector repair tool to Scan and Repair the Hard Drive Sectors
Option 2: Windows 7
1. Close all running Programs and File
2. Go to Start >> Computer
3. Select the Hard Drive you want to check for Bad Sectors
4. Under Properties >> select Tools
5. Under Error-checking section, click Check now
6. Checkmark the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors option
7. Click Start.
8. Indicates Windows attempts to fix errors
9. Review the Check Disk Report
The process is complete!
Now, the next important point of consideration that must be triggering in your mind is how to execute the hard drive recovery.
The One and Only Hard Drive Recovery Solution: A Software Approach
A software-directed approach is one of the best ways to leverage your lost, deleted, or inaccessible data. The Data Recovery marketplace is filled with multitudes of software that allows the user to regain data with 0% compromise. One such well-known tool is Stellar Data Recovery- Standard.
Powerful scan engine, state-of-the-art algorithms, and innovative features back this software and help the user in recovering the data that seemed inaccessible. In addition to being comprehensive and user-friendly, this data recovery software is 100% safeand reliable. It is compatible with Windows 10 and below versions. Simply download, install, and follow the step-by-step guidelines and the process is complete!
Systematic Approach for Recovery
1. Launch & Select
- Launch Stellar Data Recovery- Standard for Windows software.
- Select the type of the data that you want to recover.
- Next, select the location from where you want to recover the data.
2. Scan & Preview
- Click Scan
- Preview Files Simultaneously with Scanning
3. Sort & Save Recoverable Data
- Save the data upon successful completion of the scan process. To save, select the desired files and click Recover to store the recoverable files to the destination
The process is complete!
The Way Forward
When a hard drive comes up with bad sectors, then it turns inaccessible. As long as it does not increase, the data is secure and can be recovered easily. On the other hand, if it increases, then recovery becomes essential. Therefore, it is advised to remove bad sectors from hard disk in the initial stage to avoid data loss. Given that, the safe, secure and reliable Stellar Data Recovery- Standard for Windows is a viable option!
When you done a disk check for hard drive errors, because I got a bad hard drive error message said that bad sectors need to be fixed immediately, I want to know how to fix bad sectors on hard drive, please help.” A bad sector on a disk is simply a tiny cluster of storage space. It won’t respond to read or write requests. And bad sectors may occur on both traditional HDD and modern SSD. Generally speaking, when writing data, operating system will ignore the bad sectors. But if there is data on a bad sector, you cannot use it anymore. Fortunately, there are ways to repair drive Windows 10/8/7/XP.
Part 1: Check and fix bad sectors on hard drive with chkdsk
If you discover that there are bad sectors, the first thing you can try to repair Bad Sectors on hard drive Windows 10 is chkdsk. It is the built-in hard drive repair tool on Windows operating system.
Step 1: Hold down 'Win + X' to go to the power users menu, and then click 'A' on your keyboard. That will run a command prompt window as administrator.
Step 2: Type 'chkdsk [hard drive letter] /F /X /R', you can press the 'Enter' key to trigger the process.
The /F parameter means to repair hard drive Windows 10, the /X parameter forces to dismount before check, and the /R is used to locate the bad sectors and recover readable data.
Step 3: When it finished, restart your computer and the hard drive should be accessible.
You will also like reading: Backup iPhone to external hard drive.
Part 2: Check drive status in Security and Maintenance
Windows 10 uses the Security and Maintenance screen to tell you the issues that pertain to your hard drive’s health. So, you can figure out the problems with hardware and software, like bad sectors.
Step 1: Go to your Control Panel and choose 'Security and Maintenance' to open it.
Step 2: Click on the 'Maintenance' option and then locate to the 'Drive status' area. You can check the current health status of your drives.
Step 3: If any issue were found, such as bad sector, it would be listed with an option to scan the drive. And you can fix bad sectors on hard drive with it.
Part 3: Check drive for errors using drive tools in Properties
Microsoft has introduced a Drive Check tool into Windows for fixing bad sectors on hard drive.
Step 1: Open a Windows File Explorer by clicking 'Win + E'. Right-click on the local disk that contains bad sectors and choose 'Properties'.
Step 2: Go to the 'Tools' tab on Properties window and click on 'Check' under Error checking section. Then click 'Scan drive' to trigger scanning process.
Step 3: When it is done, select 'Scan and repair drive' on the popup dialog. Then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the rest steps.
Don’t miss: Recover Data from Damaged Hard Drive.
Part 4: Restore lost data from bad sectors in Windows 10/8/7 hard drive
Compared to fix repair hard drive Windows 10/8/7, people may care more about recovering data from the bad sectors. From this point, we recommend Apeaksoft Data Recovery. Its main features include:
1. Data recovery in various situations, like bad sector, hard drive corruption, virus attack and more.
2. Easy to use. This hard drive recovery tool is able to get back lost data from bad sectors on a hard drive in one click.
3. Support a variety of data types and formats, including all image, video, audio, document, email and other data.
4. Lossless recovery. With the best hard drive recovery application, people can restore lost data in original conditions, format and quality.
5. Preview for selectively recovery. After scanning, users are allowed to view all lost files organized by types and formats and recover all of them or specific items.
6. Quicker and safer. This hard drive recovery tool is lightweight and could restore lost files quickly and safely.
7. Moreover, Data Recovery is available to Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP and various file systems, like NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, EXT, etc.
In short, the best hard drive recovery software almost equips all features you are looking for to recover data and repair drive Windows 10.
How to restore lost data from bad sectors
Step 1: Scan bad sectors to look for data
Get the best hard drive recovery software installed on your PC. Launch it when you found bad sectors and corrupted files on your hard drives. Go to the Data Type section and choose the data types you want to recover, such as Image. Then head to Location section and choose the local disk contains bad sections. Once click the 'Scan' button, Data Recovery will start working.
Step 2: Preview before bad sector recovery
After scanning, you will be presented the result window and all readable data ordered by types and formats. For example, go to the 'Image' tab from left sidebar and look at all lost files on right pane. Plus, the 'Filter' function at top ribbon could find a certain file quickly by key word. If you cannot find the desired files, click on the 'Deep Scan' button at upper right corner to execute a deep scan.
Step 3: Recover files from bad sectors in one click
Make sure to select all files that you want to recover by ticking corresponding boxes, and click on the 'Recover' button to initiate recovering data from bad sector on Windows 10/8/7. When it is done, you can browse, move and edit your data normally.
Even if fixing bad sectors on hard drive fails, Data Recovery is able to recover data from it. And it does not limit how much data to recover at one time.
Part 5: FAQs of fixing bad sectors on hard drive
What is a bad sector on a hard drive?
A bad sector on a hard drive is simply a tiny cluster of storage space — a sector — of the hard drive that appears to be defective. The sector won’t respond to read or write requests.
How many types of bad sectors are there?
There are two types of bad sectors — one resulting from physical damage that can’t be repaired, and one resulting from software errors that can be fixed.
Hdd Bad Sector Repair Freeware
What causes bad sectors in a hard drive?
Bad Sector Repair Free
Bad sectors can be caused by physical damage, software issues, or others.
Fix Bad Sector Hdd Software
Hdd Bad Sector Repair Tool
In this tutorial, we have talked about how to fix bad sectors on hard drive, especially fix bad sectors. First of all, you can check the status of your hard drive by Windows 10 Security and Maintenance. And the built-in hard drive repair tools in Windows 10 are valid to fix bad sectors. Moreover, Apeaksoft Data Recovery could recover your data from the bad sectors and save them to another location effectively.